History of Sacred Heart Parish
The Sacred Heart Story
HISTORY OF THE FOUNDATION AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE PARISH OF THE MOST SACRED HEART
IN GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGANA translation, from the Polish, of a History of Sacred Heart Parish Found in the
Silver Jubilee Commemorative Booklet of 1929.
Because there was employment in the gypsum mines, several Polish families settled in the southwest sector of the City of Grand Rapids, about three miles distant from St. Adalbert’s Church and School. This distance from the church and parish school created a great difficulty for all, especially for the school children. For that reason, already in 1897, steps were taken to establish a Polish Catholic parish in this area. Only in 1903, however, was the petition for the formation of a new parish presented to Bishop Henry Richter. As soon as the bishop looked into the situation, he gave his permission to build a new church and school.
At this time there came to St. Adalbert’s Parish a young and energetic assistant whose name was Father Ladislaus Krakowski. The Most Reverend Bishop entrusted the task of establishing the new parish to Father Krakowski on August 17, 1903. The history of the establishment and development of this new parish attests how zealously and energetically Father Ladislaus Krakowski applied himself to the task at hand. From the very beginning the success of this project was assured by the very fact that the parish was entrusted to the almighty protection of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Conscientious and respected gentlemen were chosen to make up the parish committee. They were John Radlicki, Frank Sniatecki, Bob Pienta, Andrew Amborski and Joseph Miskiewicz. On October 1, 1903, a parcel of land, located across the street from a city park, was purchased for $1,900. In March 1904, the contract was set for the construction of an attractive building which was to serve church, school, and residence for the Sisters. The general cost was $11,645.
On May 24, 1904, Bishop Richter announced by a formal decree, the division of Sacred Heart Parish from St. Adalbert’s. He set the boundary lines between the two parishes, i.e. Shawmut westward from Indiana, then north to Jackson, and westward on Jackson. At the same time, with the same decree, he appointed Father Krakowski to be the pastor of the new parish. Father Krakowski conducted religious service for the members of Sacred Heart Parish at St. Adalbert’s up until November 1904. On May 30, 1904 he left St. Adalbert’s rectory and took up residence with the confines of his parish.
Page 257
On Thanksgiving Day, 1904, Bishop Richter blessed the new House of God in the presence of numerous clergy and laity from the city and beyond. He dedicated it to the glory of God and for the welfare of the people and for the salvation of their souls. The Word of God on this occasion was given by Rev. Edward Kozlowski, the pastor of St. Stanislaus’ Church in Bay City and later the second Polish bishop in the United States.
The first floor of the building was set apart for classrooms and for the Sisters’ living quarters. The second floor was to function as a church. On the day of the dedication the parish consisted of only one hundred families. It must be noted that this building was constructed without the negotiation of any loan. This was due to the generosity of the parishioners and the energetic efforts of the Parish Committee, headed by the pastor. However, the motivating force behind this entire project was the spirit of harmony which existed among the parishioners of Sacred Heart Parish.
Not only the parishioners gladly made contributions for the building of the church, but there also were numerous individuals who provided items which were necessary for the church and divine service.
Joseph Michalowski The Side Altar
Joseph Miskiewicz The Main Altar
John Radlicki Monstrance
John Czachorski Pix
Andrew Szymczak Sanctuary Lamp
J. Sonnenberg Stations of the Cross
C. Greulich Chalice
Jacob Pienta Cope and Dalmatic
Frank Sniatecki Chasuble
Casimir Krzyzanowski Cope
Andrew Orlik Chasuble
Martin Pawlowski Chandelier
Albert Hernacki Chasuble
Martin Ewert Chasubles
John Myszka Chandelier
A. Nowicki Priedieu (Kneeler)
Stanley Dutkiewicz Candelabra
(Page 258)
Policarp Dorff Bell
John Witucki Candlesticks
Paul Lukowicz, Witkowski,
Plewka, Bialorucki,
Grzecka, Wojciechowski, etc. Other Items
Sacred Heart Society Sacred Heart Statue
Rosary Ladies and Young Ladies Altar Linens
Rev. Edward Kozlowski One Lot
Rev. Alexander Lipinski Gold Knobbed Cane
Rev. Marianus Matkowski Gold Watch
It is incumbent here to make mention of the respected and venerable pastor of St. Isidore’s, a true friend of the Parish of the Sacred Heart, the late Rev. Marianus Matkowski. During the initial days of the foundation of the parish, he especially aided the young Father Krakowski with his invaluable counsel in the latter’s difficult assignment which was beset with roadblocks. He encouraged him onwards. Honor to his memory!
The new parish also found many sincere well-wishers in the parishes of St. Adalbert and St. Isidore. A list of these benefactors is found in the offerings. (6) To this very day, the parishioners of "Heart’s" (7) recall the names of these friends of theirs and gratefully they bless them.
Father Krakowski, apart from building the school, built a parish-house and a home for the Sisters, and in 1903 (sic) he purchased more lots for $1500, so as to complete the parish property in such a way that it would comprise an entire city block. (8) After the construction of the school, rectory, and convent, Father Krakowski did not cease working. Already then, he began to gather funds for a permanent church. In 1904 (sic), there was already $1500 in the parish treasury, the beginning of a fund for the construction of the church. (9)
In 1913, Rev. Edward Kozlowski was raised to the dignity of Auxiliary Bishop of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The Parish of St. Stanislaus Kostka in Bay City, one of the largest in the diocese, was without a pastor. Bishop Richter, evaluating Father Krakowski’s work and exemplary administration of "Heart’s", without the slightest hesitation, appointed him pastor of this parish which already consisted of approximately 1200 families. In January of 1914, the parish bade farewell to its beloved pastor who stood at its helm for eleven years. It bade him farewell, sadly for the people knew they were losing their founder, their zealous pastor, and their benefactor. Alas, one thought gave them great comfort and that was that their pastor was being singled out and was being honored for his exemplary work with a merited advancement. To this very day the people at "Heart’s" affectionately and gratefully recall the efforts and the zeal and the total commitment of Father Krakowski. The fact that the Parish of the Sacred Heart was formed and the fact that in so short a span of time, despite intense opposition , it has developed and has been so well administered, is acknowledged by all, after divine blessing, to have been the result of the dauntless energy and the indefatigable labors of Father Krakowski. Because of this , as a gesture of recognition, this area of "Heart’s" is proud, even to this day, to be known as "Krakowo" (Cracow).
At the behest of Father Krakowski various societies were formed in the parish. A fraternal Mutual Aid Society, under the protection of the Sacred Heart, was founded on September 6, 1903. A Young Men’s Society, under the patronage of St. Ladislaus, was organized on May 22, 1904. The Ladies Rosary Society was established on January 4, 1904. A Young Ladies’ Sodality was formed in March of the same year. The St. Joseph Society was organized on July 22, 1906. The Parish choir developed beautifully under the direction of Messrs. Damsky and Furmankiewicz, and especially so under Maximilian Wojtalewicz.
Bishop Richter appointed Rev. Joseph Kaminski, the pastor of St. Mary’s Parish in Alpena, Michigan, as Father Krakowski’s successor. Father Kaminski performed his first service on Candlemas Day, February 9, 1914 .(sic). (10) The people of Sacred Heart welcomed the new pastor affectionately and with good wishes for they already knew him as a lad who went to St. Adalbert’s School. They knew him as a student and seminarian, and they even remembered him as a chap who used to deliver groceries to their homes.
Under Father Kaminski’s administration the parish developed even further. There was no need of the intense initial effort because the foundation had been firmly laid and the strategy for the future was well planned. The pastor’s responsibility was to maintain that which had already been built and with the development of the parish, as the need arose, to build. It so happened that the biggest need of the parish was the enlargement of the school. More and more families were moving into the confines of the parish, and with families there came children. A school is the lighthouse of a parish, and so with this in mind, under the guidance of the pastor, the people began to work in this direction.
(Page 260)
In 1918, an addition to the school of four classrooms was erected at the cost of $20,000. (11) Two years later, the second floor of the original school was transformed into classrooms. Since even this did not suffice, a temporary "Bungalow School" of six classrooms was erected with an outlay of $11,000. Presently the school is able to accommodate all the children of the parishioners. Since the accommodations for the Sisters were so limited, a private residence was purchased for $7,000 and remodeled to provide sleeping quarters for the teachers. In addition, six lots across from the church were procured to serve as a playground for the children.
The crowning achievement of the parish – and one of which it may well be pardonably proud – is the magnificent church, the House of God. Already on February 29, 1920, at a parish meeting, it was unanimously agreed to build a new church. This building project was begun with dispatch. Bishop Edward Dennis Kelly blessed and laid the cornerstone in September of the same year. Initially the basement was completed, and on January 30, 1921, Rt. Rev. Msgr. Casimir Skory blessed it. From then on all services were conducted in it. The following year the superstructure was erected, and in the course of 1923, the interior was completed.
Christmas of that year will long be remembered by the parishioners because at midnight the pastor officiated at the "Pasterka" (The Mass of the Shepherds) in the new church. It is difficult to describe the deep impression which the appointments of the sanctuary, the solemn ceremony, and the sermon had made on the parishioners. Marvelous, indeed, was the sight when the darkened church was illuminated and there came into view the beautiful new altars, tastefully decorated with flowers and palms. The same can be said for the pulpit, the Communion rail, the new pews, and the artistically executed Stations of the Cross. In a word, the entire church appeared in the full spendor of it beauty and magnificence.
This church has been built in the style of the Basilica of St. Paul Outside-the-Walls in Rome. The coffered ceiling is masterfully executed. The pillars have been placed at the sides so that they do not obscure the altars and the pulpit. Experts have affirmed that this church can be considered one of the most magnificent, not only in the diocese, but in this entire area. This church will forever remain a monument of the faith and love and generosity of the people of "Heart’s".
(Page 261)
Four big bells, costing $6,000, have been lifted into the belfry. New pews have been placed in the nave. They cost $7,000. Three new altars, a pulpit, and communion railings have been installed in the sanctuary at a cost of $6,000. New vestments have been purchased for several thousands of dollars. The entire structure, with heating and plumbing and electrical work, cost $225,000.
For a period of time the assistant priests from St. Adalbert’s helped Father Kaminski in his pastoral ministrations. Rev. Thomas Noa, a professor at St. Joseph Seminary, came as a weekend assistant from September 1917 to November 1921. At that time Rev. Roman Kosnik was appointed as resident assistant. He served until July 1923, when Father Noa again came and assisted until February, 1924. It was then that the bishop appointed Rev. John Szydlowski assistant. He served in that capacity until October 1925. Once more, Rev. Dr. Thomas Noa came and helped out until April 1926. The present assistant, Rev. Adalbert Narlock, came to the parish on April 3, 1926.
Sacred Heart Parish has given three priests and one religious brother to the Church. They are Rev. James Czachorski, Rev. Casimir Krzywicki, Rev. Francis Lukowicz, and Brother Hyacinth (Edward Sniatecki) of the Congregation of the Holy Cross.
The following young ladies, daughters of parishioners, have entered the School Sisters of Notre Dame:
Sister Mary Estra Szymczak
Sister Mary Renalda Matulewicz
Sister Mary Philonella Zomberg
Sister Mary Reginalda Szymczak
Sister Mary Irmina Pienta
Sister Mary Melitona Gajerowicz
Sister Mary Sulpicia Gajerowicz
Sister Mary Aloisia Gajerowicz
Sister Mary Nobilis Frankowski
Sister Mary Bonawentura Ziomkowski
Sister Mary Austiana Myszka
Sister Mary Angela Radlicki
Sister Mary Francella Nierzwicki
Sister Mary Valeria Wachowiak
Sister Mary Fulgentia Witucki
Sister Mary Eleanore Witucki
Sister Mary Halina Kaczanowski
(Page 262)
Sister Mary Antilia Plewka
Sister Mary Auxentia Wojciechowski
Sister Mary Rufina Bochniak
Sister Mary Imeldina Antoszczak
Sister Mary Clotilda Grzegorski
Sister Mary Epiphany Myszka
Helen Matel
Pelagia Frankowski
Blanche Sieminski
MaryLukowicz
The following young ladies have entered the Felician Sisters:
Sister M. Bartel Szczepanski
Sister M. Virginette Wiktorowski
Sister M. Florence Chlebek
Sister M. Beatrice Klejna
The Rectory
Father Ladislaus Krakowski left St. Adalbert’s rectory on May 31, 1905 (sic), and took up residence in the confines of his own parish. A private house was rented, a goodly number of blocks distant from the church, and it was supplied with the most necessary furnishings. Such arrangements were not at all suitable. However, the pastor willingly tolerated this lack of accommodations for the proximately of his worthy and well-wishing parishioners mitigated this inconvenience. Not for long did the people allow their pastor to reside in property owned by others. Already in 1905, a commodious parish-house was built near the church at a cost of $5,000.
The Sisters’ Home
From the beginning, living accommodations for the Venerable Sisters were provided in the school building. Because of the fact that the number of children was constantly increasing, the school became too small. For that reason it was absolutely necessary to provide accommodations for the Sisters. The parishioners again gladly offered contributions for a new home for the nuns. A fine residence was built for them in 1906 (sic) at a cost of $9,000.
The School
The Sister-teachers, with Sister M. Cyril as superior, arrived in January 1905, from the Motherhouse of the School Sisters of Notre Dame, located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. There were 140 children enrolled in the school. (12)
From its very beginnings the school consisted of eight grades. (13) In 1918, at the behest of Rev. Joseph Kaminski, an addition of four classrooms was made to the school at a cost of $21,000. In 1920 the second floor of the school, which up until that time served as a temporary church, was remodeled into class space. In 1925, a temporary school building, consisting of six rooms, was built for $11,000. Presently there are about 900 pupils being educated in the parish school. The curriculum embraces ten grades, i.e. eight elementary grades and two years secondary. The entire school includes seventeen classrooms in which seventeen religious, one lay person, (14) and the parish assistant, Rev. Adalbert Narloch, teach.
The parish school is comparable in every respect to other schools. Of this the parishioners are convinced for they gladly send their children to the parochial school, and they make generous contributions for its maintenance.
The following Venerable Sisters presently teach and work in the parish:
Sister M. Genevieve, Sister M. Prudencial
Sister M. Ursulina, Sister M. Antima
Sister M. Orata, Sister M. Hippolita
Sister M. Euthemia, Sister M. Romuald
Sister M. Natalie, Sister M. Melanie
Sister M. Marcella, Sister M. Anaclete
Sister M. Theodore, Sister M. Donatilla
Sister M. Carola, Sister M. Stanislaus
Sister M. Eusebia, Sister M. Bellanda
Sister M. Agnola,
Superior Sister Mary Ambrosiana
Miss Helen Merdzinski
The following Sisters have taught here:
Sister M. Cyril, Sister M. Cantia
Sister M. Susanne, Sister M. Tita
Sister M. Bronislaus, Sister M. Bogumila
(Page 264 & 265)
Sister M. Esdras, Sister M. Vladimir
Sister M. Martin, Sister M. Marcela
Sister M. Chester, Sister M. Protase
Sister M. Lea, Sister M. Berteline
Sister M. Ewaldine, Sister M. Victorine
Sister M. Pientia, Sister M. Monalda
Sister M. Amerine, Sister M. Armela
Sister M. Parmenia, Sister M. Thilla
Sister M. Orlanda, Sister M. Discola
Sister M. Mamelta, Sister M. Hugonia
Sister M. Momona, Sister M. Michael
Sister M. Peter, Sister M. Salomea
Sister M. Thaddea ,Sister M. Adelfina
Sister M. Xaverine, Sister M. Clarana
Sister M. Aquin
The Present Value of the Parish’s Investments
According to Expert Opinion
The new church $225,000.00
School 85,000.00
Rectory 15,000.00
Convent 27,000.00
Property 26,000.00
New pews in church 8,000.00
Altars, Pulpit, Com. Rail 9,000.00
Bells 6,000.00
Organ 10,000.00
School seating, etc. 8,000.00
Rectory Furnishings 2,000.00
Convent Furnishings 2,000.00
Vestments and Linens 4,000.00
Total $427,000.00
Parish Societies
The following societies exist in the parish:
The Sacred Society
St. Ladislaus Society
St. Stanislaus Kostka, affiliated with the Polish Roman Catholic Union (Zjednoczenie
St. Joseph Society, affiliated with the Catholic Order of Foresters
St. Stanislaus Society for Boys
The Rosary Ladies
The Young Ladies Sodality
The Third Order of St. Francis
Mothers’ Club
The Children of Mary
The Parish Choir under the patronage of St. Cecilia
Written by: Rev. Joseph S. Kominski
Spring 1929
Translated by: Eduard Adam Skendzel
December 29, 1975
Page 56
…Cukierski (Cukerski), a prominent pioneer Grand Rapids Polander and member of Sacred Heart Parish. It was under his aegis that John Ball Park became the most scenic and largest park of the city with many facets of interest, including the city zoo. It was this same Cukierski who eventually planned the beautiful Polish Catholic Cemetery in 1909, known since 1947 as Holy Cross Cemetery.
It was this immediate, beautiful John Ball Park area, eventually to become a choice residential section, which Father Krakowski and his men had wisely chosen in September 1903 as the location of their new Parish of Sacred Heart. What vision on their part! Many of the old pioneer Polish families, as they improved their economic condition, left the older Wojciechowo area (The St. Adalbert’s Area) and built new homes in this section of the city.
The Sacred Heart Society
As mentioned, it was the laity who, as in the case of St. Adalbert’s Parish, founded the new parish of the Sacred Heart. It was their committee which visited Bishop Richter and proposed the idea of founding a new parish in the southwest sector of the West Side, citing the long distance of almost three miles and more as too excessive. This was quite a hike for their children of school age, especially in bad weather, and also made their attendance at Sunday Mass at St. Adalbert’s a real chore.
To facilitate the establishment of a new parish, Father Krakowski and these pioneers founded the Sacred Heart Society on September 6, 1903, at the clubrooms of "The Society of St. Albertus" (St. Adalbert’s?) on the corner of Fifth Street and Davis Avenue, N.W. Initially, it was called a "Building Society under the Patronage of the Sacred Heart" (Towarzystwo Budownicze) and it was formed with the specific goal of erecting the first parish building. Within a year, after the achievement of its objective, this group took on the name of "The Sacred Heart Mutual Aid Society".
Page 58
Thus began the "Society of the Sweetest Heart of Jesus." Of primary concern was a method to provided financial support to assist in the construction of Sacred Heart Church. Realizing that a building fund would have to be established and properly administered, the selection of an executive board became the first order of business. This newly-chosen group would ultimately claim the distinction of becoming the Society’s first administration.
The first officers of this group which really was the genesis of Sacred Heart Parish were:
President John Radlicki
Vice-President Joseph Michalalowski
Corresponding Sec. John Myszka
Financial Sec. Peter Chlebek
Treasurer Frank Sniatecki
Visitor of the Sick Anton Nowicki
Councilors Andrew Szymczak
(-Trustees) Martin Ewert
Martin Wiktorowski
When this group became a Mutual Aid Society, the same officers were chosen with the addition of the following gentlemen:
Additional Councilor Martin Nowakowski
Standard-Bearer Joseph Sikorski
First Marshal Casimir Krzyzanowski
Second Marshal Peter Trepka
Sergeant-at-Arms Valentine Szymanski
Parliamentarians Albert Sawicki
Thomas Malewicz
The first efforts of these men, ninety-four strong by the end of 1903, were directed completely toward fund-raising activities. Records indicate that on September 5, 1904, the treasury had grown to a sum of $1,418.05. This represented the profits gained from dances, stage shows, and membership dues. These monies were soon turned over to the church as a form of financial support.
Page 59 and 60
Eventually the members directed their attention to the fraternal and protective aspects of their organization and to the construction of their own hall. This they did in collaboration with the little known St. Joseph Society in 1909, when together they built the hall at Park and Lane Streets under the name of Kosciuszko Hall.
Not much is known about the St. Joseph Society’s beginnings. In Father Krakowski’s annual report to the Bishop for the calendar year of 1906, the name of this society appears for the first time.
The St. Ladislaus Society
The full name of this group of young men, then, was "The Alliance of Polish Young Men Under the Patronage of St. Ladislaus. It met regularly on the second and fourth Monday of each month. Its first officers were:
Officer 1904 1905
President Joseph Michalowski A. Krakowski
Vice-President A. Koter H. Wiktorowski
Corresponding Sec. H. Witkowski St. Olejniczak
Financial Sec. H. Bednarek J. Krasicki
Treasurer W. Sawicki W. Sawicki
Trustees N. Dominiak N. Dominiak
A. Krakowski Fr. Malek
J. Wisniewski J. Szczepanski
Marshal W. Malewicz
Visitator Fr. Baczkowski
Standard Bearers M. Radlicki
M. Szczepanski
J. Lorencki
The Ladies Rosary Society
This society was founded on January 4, 1904, for the spiritual purpose of giving honor to the Virgin Mary and also for the practical purpose of caring for the altars. Its first officers were:
Officer 1904 1905
President D. Witkowska D. Witkowska
Vice-President M. Hernacka M. Hernacka
Treasurer E. Amborska P. Michalowska
Secretary A. Trepka A. Trepka
The Young Ladies Sodality
This society was formed in March 1904. Its first officers were the following:
Officer 1904 1905
President Martha Amborski Leocadia Markowski
Vice-President Eva Pienta Agnes Szymczak
Secretary Julia Witkowski Mary Ann Ewert
Page 60 (cont)
Treasurer Anne Radlicki Agnes Myszka
Leaders
Chaplet 1 Leocadia Markowski Mary Ann Zomberg
Chaplet 2 Helen Baczkowski Antoinette Radlicki
Chaplet 3 Mary Amborski Stella Matukiewicz
Page 61
Who were the founding members of the Parish of the Sacred Heart? Who were the charter members of the parish, i.e., members from the very beginning when it was organized? In view of the fact that no such list exists in the parish archives, the minutes of the first meeting of the Sacred Heart Society do offer a comprehensive view of a goodly number of the founding families of the parish. However, this is not a complete listing because other charter parishioners may have entered the society at a later date and then, too, other individuals may have opted not to join this particular society although they were charter members of a new parish, perhaps unwillingly, when the division between the mother-parish and daughter-parish occurred on May 28, 1904.
Andrew Amborski ,Andrew Orlik
Peter Chlebek, Jacob Pienta
Martin Ewert ,Anthon Plewka
Albert Gajerowicz ,John Radlicki
Stephen Grzegorski ,Karl Rainka
Albert Hernacki ,Stephen Sierota
Thomas Jendrzejczak ,Frank Sniatecki
Valentine Kaminski, Joseph Szalkowski
Martin Koter, Joseph Szczepanski
Albert Kozlowski, Andrew Szymczak
Rev. Ladislaus Krakowski, Valentine Szymczak
Frank Maciejewski, Peter Trepka
Thomas Malewicz ,Martin Wiktorowski
Albert Michalowski, Valentine Wiktorowski
Joseph Michalowski ,John Witucki
John Myszka, Adam Wojciechowski
Joseph Myszkiewicz, Frank Wojczynski
Anthon Nowicki , August Zomberek
Again , the roster of the charter members of the St. Ladislaus Society and its first officers gives names of individuals who also can rightly be called charter members of Sacred Heart Parish.
Chaplain Rev. Ladislaus Krakowski
President Joseph Michalowski
Vice-President Andrew Koter
Secretary Harry Witkowski
Treasurer Albert Sawicki
Sergeant-at-Arms Frank Nowakowski
Page 62
The Charter Members were:
Henry Bednarek, Walter Krasicki
Walter Diski, Michaeal Przybysz
John Dominiak, Martin Radlicki
Nicodemus Dominiak, Anthon Sikorski
Stephen Ewert, John Szczepanski
Peter Holewinski, Ignatius Weszolski
Stanley Koter, Max Weszolski
Martin Kowalik, John Wisniewski
Alexander Krakowski
Even these lists cannot be considered complete since the names of charter families like that of Anton Lipczynski (who made the motion at the May 15, 1904 meeting of the Sacred Heart Society that the area be called "Krakowo" i.e. Cracow) and John Czachorski and Joseph Sikorski are not found on these rosters. The aforementioned surname can well be representative of others who were charter members of the parish, but whose names are not included on any extant roster. There are names like Pattok, Krutel, Kaczanowski, Dondajewski, Matel, Strenk, Hajnych, Lukowicz, Kraiewski, Krzyzanowski, Cywinski, Jankowski, and others that should be recalled.
And we do know that there must have been other pioneer families since in his first annual report to the Diocese of Grand Rapids for the year 1905, which he signed on January 5, 1906, Father Krakowski lists 140 families as belonging to the parish. He lists 41 baptisms of the year which would indicate that most of these were young families in their child-bearing years.
There is still another source that gives a listing of some of the evidently very active and very generous charter members of the parish who not only made contributions for the construction of the church, but who also provided items needed for Divine Service.
Joseph Michalowski The side altar
Joseph Miskiewicz The main altar
John Radlicki Monstrance
John Czachorski Pyx
Andrew Szymczak Sanctuary Lamp
J. Sonnenberg Stations of the Cross
C. Greulich Chalice
Jacob Pienta Cope and Dalmatic Vestments
Frank Sniaatecki Chasuble
Page 63
Casimir Krzyzanowski Cope
Andrew Orlik Chasuble
Martin Pawlowski Chandelier
Albert Hernacki Chasuble
Martin Ewert Chasubles
John Myszka Chandelier
A. Nowicki Priedieu (Kneeler)
Stanley Dutkiewicz Candelabra
Policarp Dorff Bell
John Witucki Candlesticks
Paul Lukowicz, Witkowski Other Items
Welke, Plewka, Bialorucki
Grzeczka, Wojciechowski, etc.
Sacred Heart Society Sacred Heart Statue
Rosary Ladies and Young Ladies Altar Linens
Rev. Edward Kozlowski One Lot
Rev. Alexander Lipinski Gold-knobbed cane
Rev. Marianus Matkowski Gold Watch
Page 71 1904 BAPTISMS, MARRIAGES AND FUNERALS
The First Baptisms
The Sacred Heart Parish registry of baptisms had its beginnings in the summer of 1904. The first three, because of their primacy deserve to be quoted as they were recorded by Father Krakowski.
John Myszak, of Plaster Mills. Born June 5, 1904, to Michael Myszak and Paulina Gajewska. Baptized on June 11, 1904, with Martin Elwert and Agnes Krajewska as godparents.
Helen Drzazgowska, of Dayton St. Born May 31, 1904, to Adalbert Drzazgowski and Anna Szymanska. Baptized on June 11, 1904, with S. Drzazgowski and Josephine Szymanska as godparents.
Chester Dutkiewicz, of Watson St. Born May 30, 1904, of Lawrence Dutkiewicz and Anastasia Pawlowska. Baptized on June 12, 1904, with Anthont Dutkiewicz and Josephine Pawlowska as godparents.
Page 71 & 72
The First Marriages
The very first marriages in Sacred Heart Parish took place in St. Adalbert’s Church; the second was the first in the new church. Father Krakowski’s penmanship leaves much to be desired and at times is most difficult to unravel his handwriting. However, persistent deciphering has resulted in the following rendition of his first two entries in the parish register of marriages.
Valentine Kaminski, son of John Kaminski and Anna ____, and Mary Wojtczak, daughter of Frank Wojtczak and ______. The witnesses were Florian Purzecki and Hedwig Wlodarek. It occurred on June 20, 1904, at St. Adalbert Church.
John Lorencki, son of John Lorencki and ________. And __________ Maciejewska , daughter of Matthew Maciejewski. The witnesses were Frank Mallek and Mary Rakoczy.
The First Funerals
The first funerals took place in St. Adalbert’s Church. In 1904, there were seven funerals, six of which were infants.
Frances Wierzcholska, aged 39. Died on May 27, 1904. Interment was at Mt. Calvary Cemetery.
John Berdych, aged 11 weeks. Died on Sept. 11, 1904, and was buried on Sept. 12, 1904, at Mt. Calvary Cemetery.
First Annual Report to the Diocese of Grand Rapids
A synopsis of Father Krakowski’s first report to his bishop on the state of the parish for the first full year of its formal existence gives a good view of the condition of the fledgling parish. This report for the year 1905 was signed by him on January 5, 1906
Families 140 Confirmation 50
Baptisms 41 Marriages 12
First Communion 30 Funerals 9
Church goods acquired: Organ $1000.00
Altars 180.00
Sidewalks 131.40
School Seats 221.25
Convent Furniture 85.00
Societies: Sacred Heart 90 Men’s Rosary 15
St. Ladislaus 40 Women’s Rosary 75
St. Stanislaus 34 Young Ladies 60
Page 73
Father Krakowski refers to Sacred Heart Church as the eighth Catholic Church in the City of Grand Rapids:
1. St. Andrew 1833 5. St. Joseph 1887
2. St. Mary 1857 6. St. Alphonsus 1888
3. St. James 1870 7. St. Isidore 1897
4. St. Adalbert 1881 8. Sacred Heart 1904
On would wonder why SS. Peter and Paul’s is not listed. The St. Adalbert’s Golden Jubilee Book of 1931 records 1903 as the date for SS. Peter and Paul.
Page 81
In September 1905, school reopened with forty new pupils with two boys and two girls in grade 8. However, it was only in June 1908, that there were any Grade 8 graduates. They were:
August Mazurkiewicz John Bonczkowsi
Anthony Gajerowicz Stanley Orlik
Joseph Malewicz Wanda Nowicki
Page 86
Polish Catholic Cemetery
80 Acres of beautiful rolling terrain, out Walker Road, purchased in July, 1909 for $7,800. Wencel Cukierski was commissioned to design a complete plan of roads and burial areas.
Known as the Polish Catholic Cemetery until its name change after World War II, in 1947, to Holy Cross Cemetery. Dedicated on Octoer 24, 1909, by Bishop Peter Rhode, Auxiliary of Chicago.
Page 118
Sacred Heart "High School "
The school remained the object of Father Kaminski’s concern. Since Catholic Central High School on Sheldon Ave. was so far removed and since he wished to insure that more of the students receive a secondary education under Catholic auspices, a ninth grade was initiated in Sept. 1927, and a tenth grade in Sept., 1928. At the end of the school year there were approximately 900 pupils in the parish school, taught by seventeen nuns, one lay person, and one priest. Miss Helen Merdzinski, the first lay teacher ever to teach at Sacred Heart School, taught high school English while Rev. Adalbert Narloch taught French and Polish. There were twenty-three Sisters assigned to Sacred Heart School.
Page 121
The Silver Jubilee – May 30, 1929
Page 140
The surprising and unexpected departure of a respected pastor brought sadness and nostalgic memories to his people. They wrote a resolution which well expressed their sentiments.
"Whereas, the Rev. Joseph S. Kaminski, pastor of Sacred Heart Church of Grand Rapids, Michigan, until his resignation in November, 1931, has faithfully and zealously laboured for eighteen years in the Church spreading the Word of God and peace and good will amongst his flock; and
Whereas, the fruits of his efforts in our behalf, both in spiritual and temporal matters, have left an everlasting memorial of his faithfulness, devotion, and zeal in physical properties of the Church, as well as within our hearts, in the love and affection we bear him,
Now, therefore, we a Committee of the members of the said Parish, in behalf of them all, desiring publicly to attest to the foregoing, do hereby declare our deepest and lasting appreciation and gratitude, and affection toward him for his long, untiring, and fruitful labours in our behalf in token of our high esteem and reverence justly deserved by him." (sic)
John Lach John Olejniczak
V. Boruta Szczepan Niewiadomski
Stanislaw Palaszek Antoni B. Rosloniec
Tomasz Bochniak Antoni Oracz
Piotr Purczynski Lukasz C. Popielarz
Frank S. Dominiak Vincent Gryczanowski
Stanislaw Herda Franciszek Saganski
Jozef Heinich Roman Androkowicz
Stanley Batory Jakub Walendzik
Stanislaw Golas Antoni Borek
Page 154
Father Joseph Francis Karas
It was Father Karas’ delightful task to welcome and to present Bishop Joseph Casimir Plagens (1941-1943) to the people of Sacred Heart upon the latter’s visit in 1941 after his arrival to Grand Rapids, as Bishop Pinten’s successor, on February 18, 1941.
Father Karas formed the conference of the Society of St. Vincendt de Paul at Sacred Heart Parish in 1945.
Died at age 52 in St. Mary’s Hospital on January 11, 1947.
Page 161
The custom of giving a newly-born infant the name of the saint on whose day it was born, which had been widely followed by the rural population of Poland at the time of the early emigration, certainly was discarded.
ASSOCIATE PASTORS
Pages 320 & 321 |
|||||||||
ASSOCIATE PASTORS AT SACRED HEART PARISH + |
|||||||||
Rev. |
Thomas L. Noa |
Sept. |
1917- |
Nov. |
1921 |
||||
(Week-ends) |
July |
1923- |
Feb |
1924 |
|||||
Oct. |
1925- |
April |
1926 |
||||||
Rev. |
Roman A. Kosnik |
Nov |
1921- |
July |
1923 |
||||
Rev. |
John E. Szydlowski |
Feb |
1924- |
Oct |
1925 |
||||
Rev. |
Adalbert A. Narloch |
Apr |
1926- |
Oct |
1929 |
||||
Rev. |
Leo I. Zielinski |
Oct |
1929- |
March |
1932 |
||||
Rev. |
Anthony P. Arsulowicz |
1932 |
|||||||
Rev. |
Stephen J. Kozak |
Mar |
1932- |
Apr |
1934 |
||||
Rev. |
Casimir E. Walkowiak |
Apr |
1934- |
May |
1935 |
||||
Rev. |
Francis Kupinski |
1935 |
|||||||
Rev. |
John J. Bozek |
May |
1935- |
May |
1936 |
||||
Rev. |
Bernard L. Sikorski |
May |
1936- |
May |
1939 |
||||
Rev. |
Edward A. Chmielewski |
May |
1939- |
March |
1944 |
||||
Rev. |
Ceslaus Klimowicz |
Mar |
1944- |
June |
1946 |
||||
Rev. |
Henry J. Niedzwiecki |
June |
1946- |
May |
1947 |
||||
Rev. |
Herman S. Kolelnda |
June |
1947- |
July |
1949 |
||||
Rev. |
Joseph F. Wierkierak |
July |
1949- |
Aug |
1951 |
||||
Rev. |
James L. Jendrasiak |
Aug |
1951- |
Apr |
1953 |
||||
Rev. |
Stanislaus Matiss |
Nov |
1951- |
June |
1956 |
||||
Rev. |
Casimir Zawacki |
1953 |
|||||||
Rev. |
Edward S. Orlowski |
Oct |
1953- |
June |
1954 |
||||
Rev. |
Edward A. Roczen |
June |
1954- |
May |
1957 |
||||
Rev. |
Vincent J. Kamarauskas |
June |
1956- |
Sept |
1959 |
||||
Rev. |
Victor G. Kaleckis |
Sept. |
1957- |
Oct |
1961 |
||||
Rev. |
Dominic Lengvinas |
Sept. |
1959- |
Nov. |
1960 |
||||
Rev. |
Anthony Treska |
1960 |
|||||||
Rev. |
Anthony S. Trubiroha |
June |
1961- |
Oct |
1966 |
||||
Rev. |
Alvin T. Wallke |
June |
1962- |
Sept |
1962 |
||||
Rev. |
Stephen E. Vesbit |
Sept. |
1962- |
June |
1966 |
||||
Rev. |
Melvin E. Fox |
June |
1963- |
Sept |
1963 |
||||
Rev. |
John J. Wisneski |
June |
1964- |
Sept |
1964 |
||||
Rev. |
Alan M. Langlois |
June |
1965- |
Sept |
1965 |
||||
Rev. |
Daniel Quillan |
1965- |
1968 |
||||||
Rev. |
Richard J. Van Lente |
June |
1966- |
July |
1966 |
||||
Rev. |
Anthony C. Vainavicz |
July |
1966- |
Sept |
1966 |
||||
Rev. |
Donald E. Lomasiewicz |
Sept. |
1966- |
Feb |
1970 |
||||
Rev. |
James M. Bozung |
Oct |
1966- |
Sept |
1967 |
||||
Rev. |
Felix L. LaPres |
June |
1967- |
Sept |
1970 |
||||
Rev. |
Anthony Treska |
Feb |
1970- |
Sept |
1970 |
||||
Rev. |
Norman P. Droski |
Sept. |
1970- |
Oct |
1973 |
||||
Rev. |
Edward Statkus |
Sept. |
1973- |
Sept |
1974 |
||||
Rev. |
Eric Heiquit |
Aug |
1974- |
Sept |
1974 |
||||
Rev. |
Edward J. Kubiak |
Sept |
1974- |
||||||
Note: Franciscan Fathers |
|||||||||
During the years 1945 to 1957, the Franciscan Fathers (Pulaski, Wisconsin) on Lake Drive, S.E., also assisted at |
|||||||||
the parish. Numbered among them are the following: |
|||||||||
Rev. |
Thomas Adamiak |
O.F.M. |
|||||||
Rev. |
Gerald Stajkowski |
O.F.M. |
|||||||
Rev. |
Leonard Bigos |
O.F.M. |
|||||||
Rev. |
Benitius Swiencicki |
O.F.M. |
|||||||
Rev. |
Bonaventure Bolda |
O.F.M. |
|||||||
Rev. |
Martinian Snopek |
O.F.M. |
|||||||
Rev. |
Ignatius Stankiewicz |
O.F.M. |
|||||||
Rev. |
Krato Jelenic |
O.F.M. |
|||||||
Rev. |
January Padlo |
O.F.M. |
|||||||
Deacons: "Transitional deacons" studying for the priesthood, and not, "permanent deacons". |
|||||||||
Daniel C. Aerts was ordained a priest in January 1978, and Edward A. Hankiewicz in June, 1979, in Rome, |
|||||||||
by Pope John Paul II. |
|||||||||
Daniel C. Aerts |
Jan |
1977- |
Jan |
1978 |
|||||
Edward A. Hankiewicz |
June |
1978- |
Sept |
1978 |
|||||
Page 321 |
|||||||||
Page 63, 64 & 65 |
|||||||||
Pioneer Members of the Parish- Though this list may be imperfect and incomplete, it might well be the closest thing to a roster of the pioneer members of |
|||||||||
the parish |
|||||||||
Abramowicz, P. |
Baran, Juljan |
||||||||
Amborski, And. |
Baranowski, And. |
||||||||
Antczak, Fr. |
Bartnik, Jak. |
||||||||
Baczkowski, Joz. |
Batog, Stan. |
||||||||
Bednarek, Henryk |
Kaczanowski, Jan, |
||||||||
Berdych, Fran. |
Kamyszek, Szym. |
||||||||
Biender, Wiktor |
Kawka, Tomasz. |
||||||||
Borek, Tomasz. |
Kluczewski, Ant. |
||||||||
Boruta, Konst. |
Kolczynski, Frank |
||||||||
Brzozowki, A. |
Kolodziejczak, Fr. |
||||||||
Centillli, Bernard |
Korey, Henryk |
||||||||
Chlebek, Piotr. |
Koter, St. |
||||||||
Ciecmiorowski, Wal. |
Koter, Marcin. |
||||||||
Cywinski, Jan. |
Koter, And. |
||||||||
Czachorski, Jan |
Kowalik, Melchior |
||||||||
Czarnecki, Michal |
Kozlowski, Michal |
||||||||
Czechanski, Fran. |
Kozlowski, Woj. |
||||||||
Cukierski, Waclaw. |
Kozminski, Stan. |
||||||||
Dabkowski, Alex. |
Krajewski, Wal. |
||||||||
Dadajewski, Woj. |
Krajewski, Woj. |
||||||||
Danielski, Jozef |
Krasicka, Jozefa |
||||||||
Dickman, Adolf |
Krutul, Woj. |
||||||||
Dominiak, Sylv. |
Krygier, Juljan |
||||||||
Dominiak, Fran. |
Krygier, Piotr. |
||||||||
Dominiak, Roch. |
Krzyzanowski, Kaz. |
||||||||
Dominiak, Nikod. |
Kubiak, Jan |
||||||||
Dominiak, Ant. |
Kurzawa, Stan. |
||||||||
Drzazgowski, Stan. |
Lewandowski, Jozef. |
||||||||
Dutkiewicz, Waw. |
Lewandowski, Fran. |
||||||||
Ekwert, Marcin. |
Lipczynski, Ant. |
||||||||
Ewert, Marcin. |
Lorenski, Jan |
||||||||
Flarski, Miecz. |
Lukowicz, Pawel |
||||||||
Fifelski, Michal |
Maciejewski, Fran. |
||||||||
Fifelski, Jozef |
Macioszek, Stan. |
||||||||
Frankowski, And. |
Malek, Michal |
||||||||
Gabert, Fran. |
Malewicz, Tomasz |
||||||||
Gajerowicz, Woj. |
Marciniak, Felix |
||||||||
Gorecki, Joz. |
Marczynski, Fran. |
||||||||
Graczyk, Wal. |
Markowski, Jan |
||||||||
Grzegorski, Szczep. |
Masalkowski, Fran. |
||||||||
Halas, Piotr. |
Matel, Antoni |
||||||||
Hernacki, Woj. |
Matukiewicz, Karol |
||||||||
Hernes, Marcin. |
Maza, Ant. |
||||||||
Jankowski, Woj. |
Mazurkiewicz, Kat. |
||||||||
Jedrzejczak, Tom. |
Michalak, Jan. |
||||||||
Michalowski, Joz. |
Rettig, Joz. |
||||||||
Michalowski, Woj. |
Romkiewicz, Kost. |
||||||||
Michalowski, Mich. |
Sieracka, Elzbieta |
||||||||
Miszkiewicz, Joz. |
Sikorska, Kat. |
||||||||
Milanowski, Ant. |
Smigiel, Mich. |
||||||||
Milewski, Winc. |
Sniatecki, Fran. |
||||||||
Myszak, Michal |
Sokolowski, Jan |
||||||||
Myszka, Jan |
Stachowiak, Konrad |
||||||||
Nerkowski, Joz. |
Stachowiak, Tom. |
||||||||
Nierzwicki, Wlad. |
Stachowiak, Jan |
||||||||
Niewiadomski, Szcz. |
Strenk, Winc. |
||||||||
Nowakowski, Marcin. |
Szatkowski, Jozef |
||||||||
Nowakowski, Fran. |
Szczepanski, Jozef |
||||||||
Nowicka, Agnieszka |
Szymanski, Wal. |
||||||||
Nowicki, Jan |
Szymczak, And. |
||||||||
Odojewski, Maciej. |
Tomasik, Waw. |
||||||||
Olejniczak, Jan |
Trepka, Piotr |
||||||||
Olejniczak, ST. |
Wachowiak, Jozef |
||||||||
Orlik, And. |
Welke, Ant. |
||||||||
Orlik, Wlad. |
Welniak, Ant. |
||||||||
Orlik, Piotr |
Wierzcholski, Jakob |
||||||||
Paczkowski, St. |
Wiktorowski, Marc. |
||||||||
Pattok, Ant. |
Wiktorowski, Wal. |
||||||||
Pawlowski, Marcin. |
Wisniewski, Jan |
||||||||
Pawlowska, Fran. |
Witkowski, Jan, |
||||||||
Piotrowski, Szcz. |
Witucki, Jan |
||||||||
Pienta, Jacob |
Witucki, Jozef |
||||||||
Plewka, Ant. |
Wojciechowski, Adam |
||||||||
Przybysz, And. |
Wojczynski, Fran. |
||||||||
Przybysz, Fran. |
Zamiara, Jakob |
||||||||
Purczynski, Piotr |
Ziomkowski, Winc. |
||||||||
Radecki, Jul. |
Ziomkowski, Jan |
||||||||
Radlicki, Jan |
Zymajtys, Ant. |
||||||||
Rainka, Karol |
Zomberg, Aug. |
||||||||
Rakoczy, Wal. |
|||||||||
Page 121 |
|||||||||
Sisters in Sacred Heart School 1934 |
|||||||||
Sr. M. |
Grace |
Superior |
Sr. M. |
Euthemia |
Grade |
6 |
|||
Sr. M. |
Adelwina |
Grade |
1 |
Sr. M. |
Bertiline |
Grade |
7 |
||
Sr. M. |
Teneria |
Grade |
1 |
Sr. M. |
Natalia |
Grade |
7 |
||
Sr. M. |
Aloysia |
Grade |
2 |
Sr. M. |
Bernadine |
Grade |
8 |
||
Sr. M. |
Marsilia |
Grade |
2 |
Sr. M. |
Romaulda |
Grade |
8 |
||
Sr. M. |
Prudentia |
Grade |
3 |
Sr. M. |
Regina |
Grade |
9 |
||
Sr. M. |
Merceda |
Grade |
4 |
Sr. M. |
Praksada |
Music |
|||
Sr. M. |
Hieronyma |
Grade |
4 |
Sr. M. |
Hyacinth |
Dining Room |
|||
Sr. M. |
Carola |
Grade |
5 |
Sr. M. |
Mundana |
Cook |
|||
Sr. M. |
Anysia |
Grade |
5 |
Sr. M. |
Genevieve |
Laundry |
|||
Sr. M. |
Jovanna |
Grade |
6 |
||||||
Page 141 |
|||||||||
Parish Statistics During the Kaminski Pastorate |
|||||||||
Year |
Families |
Baptisms |
F. Com. |
Conf. |
Mar. |
Funl. |
|||
1914 |
337 |
94 |
60 |
60 |
34 |
20 |
|||
1915 |
400 |
126 |
80 |
80 |
32 |
23 |
|||
1916 |
400 |
120 |
94 |
94 |
29 |
29 |
|||
1917 |
400 |
124 |
76 |
82 |
20 |
29 |
|||
1918 |
400 |
132 |
82 |
90 |
8 |
23 |
|||
1919 |
340 |
101 |
72 |
80 |
14 |
28 |
|||
1920 |
350 |
104 |
78 |
83 |
21 |
36 |
|||
1921 |
* |
21 |
|||||||
1922 |
400 |
102 |
110 |
114 |
15 |
44 |
|||
1923 |
* |
||||||||
1924 |
500 |
101 |
120 |
124 |
31 |
22 |
|||
1925 |
500 |
106 |
110 |
114 |
18 |
23 |
|||
1926 |
* |
91 |
83 |
+ |
18 |
27 |
|||
1927 |
* |
90 |
88 |
+ |
15 |
37 |
|||
1928 |
* |
99 |
66 |
+ |
34 |
29 |
|||
1929 |
* |
73 |
+ |
144 |
16 |
28 |
|||
1930 |
* |
71 |
131 |
191 |
13 |
26 |
|||
1931 |
* |
60 |
97 |
+ |
19 |
25 |
|||
* The statistics for these years are not included in the Diocesan Archives. |
Transcriber: Maureen Slade
Created: 18 March 2004