Updated 10/30/2023

Additional Information on Lenawee County Churches


~~church records ~~from Raisin Researching, June 1988, Vol 1, No 5.
The newsletter of the Lenawee County Family Researchers.
Used by permission.
~~from Michigan Expositor
~~from the Daily Telegram
~~from Illustrated History and Biographical Record
of Lenawee County, Mich.
, 1903
Blissfield Baptist Church
Organized Oct 7, 1973 (?hmmm?), average attendance in 1974 was 25.

Emmanuel United Methodist Church
began in 1857 as an Evangelical Church. Rev. C. Thomas and Rev. E. Loose 1st pastors, 1st church called "Beagle Church" on land donated by Rev. Christian Beagle, on Beamer Rd. In 1891 Beagle and Crane congregations merged, Rev. H. Voelker pastor at that time. Rev. S. Salsbury served from 1892-1895. In 1906 the Riga church closed and members transferred to Blissfield.

Evangelical St. John's Lutheran Church
first met Jan 1900 in the closed Methodist church in Riga. Rev. F. M. Drauss 1st pastor until 1909. Rev. John Nicolai 1909-1914.

Fairview Church of the Brethren
founded in late 1870's. Two brothers, Nathan &Perry McKimmy served as first lay ministers. 1st paid minister Rev. Wilson Stutzman. He received farm produce. He was a farmer. His son is Paul Stutzman.

First United Methodist Church
organized 1852. First sermon preached in Blissfield in 1827 by Rev. John Baughman, in the home of Harvey Bliss. In 1852 Rev. David A. Curtis organized a class of 5 members at the home of Mr. & Mrs. George Back. The other members were Mr. & Mrs. Henry Pryor and William R. Clark. The circuit of Rev. Curtis then consisted of 7 other stations, including Palmyra, Kedzie's Grove (now Deerfield) and Petersburg.

Immanuel Lutheran Church
Aug 28, 1870 about 6 miles north of Blissfield, Rev. William F. Kroenke came to a settlement of German immigrants. He resigned in 1890 and Rev. A. Hahn succeeded him.

Ogden Community Bible Church
built on property given by Jerome DeBar, grandfather of Millie Kliendist. Dedicated in 1897 as Beulah Chapel and given to the United Brethren Conference. Rev. Clayton Hopkins named as pastor in 1902.

Ogden United Methodist Church
organized 1864 as Evangelical denomination by Rev. Jonas Borough.

Palmyra Community Presbyterian Church
second church to be organized in Blissfield area. 16 Christian pioneers met Jan 27, 1836, in the little blue school house to form what was originally a Presbyterian Church. 1st Elders: Nathan Gibbs and Amos Ranger. Rev. John Walker 1st regular minister in 1837. Rev. John Monteith, co-founder of the U of M preaching at Blissfield in1846 also preached at the Palmyra church. Rev. George Humphrey was ordained as minister in Nov 1886. He also preached at Blissfield. While he was at Palmyra, 185 members added to the church, including 49 who joined at one occasion. Among the converts were two who became ministers, Charles Rogers andEmma Bancroft Yinger. Mrs. Yinger, mother of 8 children, including 4 minister sons, was voted Michigan Mother of the year in 1948.

St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church
organized May 23, 1915, with 23 members under Rev. E. J.Nest, then pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church in Riga. Three of the members were Mr. &Mrs. Julius Sprunk and their son, Ellsworth.

St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church
Father Krebs, pastor of St. Dominic's Church in Clinton served Blissfield as a mission. First mass celebrated Jan 1, 1910 at home of Mrs. Julia Plunkett, at corner of Giles & E. Adrian Sts.

The First Presbyterian Church
first church founded in the village. Rev. Alanson Darwin of Tecumseh came 14 miles to preside at its organization Feb. 22, 1829. Location was a lot cabin home of Hervey Bliss, town's founder. The 9 original members were: Hervey Bliss, Nancy W. Bliss, Timothy B.Goff, Sally W. Goff, Mehitable B. Goff (Ezra Goff's widow), Margaret Kedzie, Esther West, Isabella Clark and Margaret Ray. No regular ministers. On Jan 8, 1832 Presbyterian form of government was adopted. Rev. John Monteith was pastor in 1849. In 1867, Rev. Joseph Swindt.

The First United Brethren Church
began in 1887 under Simon Young, with preaching occasionally by Rev. Daniel Clark. Rev. S. H. Yager was pastor in 1888. First trustees were: William Rothfuss, Moses Palmer, Peter Fisher, Ernest Berk and Simon Young.

The United Holiness Church
organized Dec. 2, 1956 named Trinity Holiness Church. 1st minister was Rev. C.R. (Clarence) Shipman.

Trinity Lutheran Church
organized Nov. 17, 1861, with Rev. William F. Kroenke as pastor. A schism in the church in 1900 caused some members to leave the church and form St. John's Lutheran Church.

Wellsville United Methodist Church
In Wellsville 2 churches started side by side in 1870. One was the Primitive Methodist with a Mr. Larkin as minister. The other was the Free Methodist, minister not known. The Primitive Methodists completed their building in 1874 on land donated by Joseph and Betsy Westgate. In 1876 interest in the church evaporated, and the property reverted back to the Westgates. A year later, the new Rev. E. B. Sutton held a large revival which resulted in 100 conversions. The church reacquired the property and reorganized as the Methodist Protestant Association. The Free Methodists dedicated their building in 1875, and were active until 1905. In 1914 Frank Ganun purchased the building for Lee Springer. The two churches merged in 1928 and became the Wellsville Methodist Church.

Zion United Brethren Church
Organized in 1860 on land given by Erastus Brockway, Ogden's first settler. The church was part of the Raisin Circuit, which consisted of 6 churches under one pastor. Zion Cemetery is adjacent to the church. The first trustees were: Mr. Brockway, Israel Hodges and Daniel Bay. First minister Rev. Samuel Klotz. In 1892 a split came forming two branches, the other called Mt. Zion Church. Mt. Zion Church disbanded.

Episcopal Church of Adrian ?
article extracted from the Michigan Expositer May 27, 1851

Laying the Corner Stone

The ceremony of laying the Corner Stone of the new Episcopal Church in this village, took place on Monday last week..........

...deposited in the corner stone, the names of the Rector and officers of Christ's Church, the names of the Building Committee, and the Master Workman, the names of our village President and Trustees--also the name of Millard Fillmore, President of the United States, and Gov. Barry of this State.

...also deposited a "pine tree shilling" 200 years old, and a three cent piece, just coined.

This article appeared July 29, 1851
The New Church

The new Episcopal Church is progressing rapidly. The architects, Loomis & Bradley, put through what they undertake with uncommon skill and energy. We think the new building will be a great addition to our village, as well as to the convenience of the society which is to occupy it.

(Extracted because it gave the name of the architects, which I think was referred to in the article about the corner stone, but not named????? C.S.)


100 YEARS AGO In the DAILY TELEGRAM
Originally Published: 1898-04-10

A beautiful Easter day saw many churches in Lenawee County celebrating the risen Christ. The most interesting, perhaps, of all took place at the new Episcopal Church, the first-ever service at the church on the corner of Broad and Maumee streets. The Right Rev. Thomas Davies, bishop of Michigan, was present. Built at a cost of more than $22,000, the church can seat about 400 in the main sanctuary and 200 in the gallery.


100 YEARS AGO In the DAILY TELEGRAM
Originally Published: May 15, 1898

We learn today from A.W. Carey the exact cost of the new Episcopal Church is $21,809.39. This does not include the carpet, chancel furnishings or the new cement walk around the structure. The original Clark fund that was put into the church amounted, when ready to build, to $20,921.30. Now when everything is cleaned up and shaped around the society will only be $800 in debt.


Blissfield Methodist Episcopal Church

Found in the Adrian Daily Telegram, Monday, May 7, 1923
Blissfield
History of Church Goes Back to 1826
M.E. Institution Had Start When Tepees Still Stood

Special to the Telegram
Blissfield, Mich., May 7--That the history of the Blissfield Methodist Episcopal Church goes back to 1826, shortly after the founding of the settlement by Harvey Bliss, was discovered by K.B.Glaser in his preparation of a history of the church which was presented during the homecoming service last week.

The Rev. J.A. Baughman, then at French Town on the River Raisin, now the city of Monroe, was the first minister to preach here. At that time the tepees of Indians were still standing hear here and beares, wolves and deer were common.

The church has had 18 presiding elders or district superintendents during the last 71 years of its history, the average term of office being four years. During the same period it has had 35 pastors, the present one being the Rev. Emerald B. Dixon. The earliest pastor who is still living is the Rev. E.W.Frazee, who was here from 1877 to 1879.

The first regularly appointed preacher, Edwin H. Brockway, was assigned to the church in 1857. The church was then in the Adrian district, with Palmyra part of the time included in the Blissfield charge. The church had also been included in the Pontiac district and for years has been in the Ann Arbor district, with which it is affiliated at present.


First Church of Christ, Scientist
100 YEARS AGO In the DAILY TELEGRAM
Originally Published: 1905
At the annual meeting of the society rooms at 16 E. Maumee, the First Christian Science Society of Adrian was formally dissolved and disbanded, and the First Church of Christ Scientist was organized. Maude TAYLOR was elected first reader; Ethel LOVE, second reader; John S. BONNER, clerk; and Mrs. Frances MILLER, treasurer. It was unanimously declared that all present be considered, with their own consent, full charter members of the church.
Reprinted from the Adrian Telegram 30 July 2005;
permission granted by the Adrian Telegram and Don Kleinsmith

The Church is located at the corner of Dennis and Union Streets.
by Don Kleinsmith

The Christian Science Church in Adrian is 100 years old this year. Although the first services took place in 1898 at the home of Mrs. Eliza Howell, the church was incorporated in 1905.

The house at the corner of Dennis and Union streets (the present location) was purchased by the church in 1921, although it had been a residence since the 1850s. Architect Howell Taylor was employed to remodel the structure as a church. In 1856, the church membership had grown, so an addition was added to the back of the church to provide more Sunday School space and rooms for the readers.

Among the early members of the church were Mrs. Antoinette Berry, the first of five generations of members, and Mrs. Lillie Ethel Higley and her husband, George, the first of four generations. Mrs. Berry's daughter, Harriet Fields, was an active member for many years. Mrs. Berry's granddaughter, Diana Fields Sell and Diana's daughter and grandchildren are members. George and Ethel Higley's son Bill was also a member for many years. Bill's daughters, Sharon Smith and Kathy Caris, are members as well as his four grandchildren.

Each Christian Science church maintains a public Reading Room, where everyone is welcome to read or purchase Bibles and Christian Science literature. In the early years the Reading Room was in the church. In 1929 a large lot on the north side of the church was purchased with plans to build a Reading Room.

However, in 1960, a store front location at 140 S. Main Street was rented for the Reading Room. In 1963, the former Everiss Ware Cabinet Shop, which also made coffins, was sold to the church, then remodeled as a Reading Room. This is its present location.

The downtown location proved to be good for the Reading Room, so in 1868, when the city of Adrian needed more space for a parking lot at the new City Hall, two-thirds of the lot adjoining the church was sold to the city.

The public is invited to attend the Christian Science services at 10:30 a.m. Sundays and 7 p.m. Wednesdays.

Don Kleinsmith is a member of the Christian Science Church




At the Adrian Library on Film:
Church records 1834-1910 Quaker Raisin Center
Adrian Quarterly Meeting of Friends (no date on box)

St. John's Lutheran Church of Adrian
1847 start date, end date ???, including family register, Great data, but all in German and the old handwriting so hard to read. NO COPIES ALLOWED!